Welcome to the Montpelier Public Library's 1,000 BOOKS BEFORE KINDERGARTEN program!
Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brain power? The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary and building background knowledge—all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
Montpelier Public Library 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to five years can participate. Just follow these steps:
- Register: There are now two ways to register!
- Sign up and receive program materials at the Montpelier Public Library.
- If you prefer to log books online, visit the Beanstack website or download the Beanstack app, search for the Montpelier Public Library, and sign yourself and your child up as readers! Have your child join the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten challenge, and start logging books! For more information on Beanstack, visit our Beanstack page, or stop into the library for help!
- Track Your Reading: Fill in a shape for each book you read with your child on the reading record, or log books online through Beanstack!
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears during storytime, in daycare or preschool or with a friend or family member.
- Book Milestones: Each time you read 100, 300 and 1,000 books, bring your reading record to the library to receive your reading log prize!
- If you are using physical pages, bring in every 100 books read for a new log!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills. Visit the Montpelier Public Library often for free programs that are fun and educational for your little one and to find great books to share with your child.
One thousand books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book each night, you’ll meet your goal in less than 3 years. If you read three books each night, you could reach your goal in just one year! Ask our friendly staff for suggestions—we’re here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!